Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I might be on a roll.

(From November 6th)


I've learned a lot from using crutches and a wheelchair since last weekend.

The bad:

A lot of sidewalks are really not designed to accommodate wheelchairs. Mike has to lift the chair over the curb a lot of times, and that's a hassle.

I miss being able to carry things. This is something I never thought about before. On crutches, I can't hold anything else.

People who steal wheelchairs to use for joyrides are the absolute worst. I always knew that was an awful thing to do, but again, I didn't really think much about it until now. When we can walk without difficulty, we take so much for granted.

The good:

I no longer have to worry about not being able to find a seat in public. But if I'm in a room full of chairs, the surrounding ones often need to be shifted around like a game of Tetris.

A flying jet-powered wheelchair would be so badass. There should be a comic superhero who has one, if there isn't already.

My legs are really strong, and my arms are getting stronger from the crutches. I might get a skateboard so I can lay across it on my stomach and propel myself around for killer abs. (Not really, Mike! Don't worry.)

Also, not wheelchair or crutch related, but the swelling in my feet has gone down a bit. They still feel really tight and pressurized, but there's less pain. And the bruises are turning all kinds of awesome psychedelic colors.