Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Fractured

(From November 1st)

At 1:30 a.m. this morning, Michael and I were almost killed in a car wreck.
We were on a freeway in Milford, heading home from a night out with friends in downtown New Haven. There were drunk people swerving all over the road. I tried to catch the license plate number of a particularly trashed driver and call 911 to report them. Suddenly, another sloshed driver came barreling out in front of us, zigzagging across the road like he was trying to stitch the lanes together. Then, several things happened at once. There was a sickening crunch. We shot forward as the windshield cracked into spiderweb patterns, rippling out across the whole pane. The glittering shards rained down. Time and sound seemed to freeze. I bit my tongue and braced my feet, but felt nothing. Mike screamed, "Oh, shit!" Then the car jolted to a stop.
Mike asked if I was okay. He said he felt fine. I said my feet hurt, and couldn't stop shivering. Two people from the highway stood guard around us, told us what happened, called the ambulance. My phone was somewhere on the floor, but I wasn't about to dig through broken glass to find it.
I checked to see if my cyborg Halloween makeup was still intact. Weird what we prioritize when in shock.
EMTs showed up. They took off my boots, and my right foot was ballooning. I couldn't walk. They strapped me down to a stretcher and rolled me into the ambulance. All I could think was that the ride was bumpy. They fiddled with wires, pumped something stronger than morphine into my veins. Told me Mike was in the other ambulance and he was fine. I answered all the questions they asked: my name, birth date, social security number. I clung to those answers as static truths in the speeding white van. Gathered the facts of my identity, like piecing the shattered glass back together.
"I'm Emily Kirchner."
"I was born on November 26, 1986."
"I'm married to Michael O'Malley, and he's going to be okay."
There were other truths flying haphazardly around in the background: Who I am. Who Mike is. What we believe and love and want. But for now, the basics would have to hold.
Mike and I stayed in the hospital until 7 in the morning and didn't sleep. The car was totaled. It was a near head-on collision; engine to engine. If we'd been in a smaller car, we would have died. He had bruised ribs, a banged up shin, and raging asthma from the powder that had burst from the airbags. The doctors thought I had broken both my ankles, but they were sprained. They hooked me up to wires and I joked that now I was like a real cyborg. Finally, we were able to go home.
Our friend Mike G. stayed in the hospital with us all morning and drove us out to a diner, where they had to carry me into the bathroom in excruciating pain. We talked about finding me a wheelchair. Mike G. dropped off our Percocet prescription and drove us home. He had been awake for more than 24 hours at that point and was worried sick.
Michael's sister Terri stopped over later and brought us to CVS. She helped me around, talked with us about graphic novels. We've had friends visiting and calling and bringing food all day. Fola made me an incredible Jamaican dinner. I can't imagine what I could have done to deserve such wonderful people in my life, but you have my gratitude and my love.
This puts a lot of things into perspective. I may not be able to walk for a while, but it could have been so much worse. It's astounding that we're alive. Earlier that night I'd been scolding my husband for getting too rowdy and in-character for his Halloween costume. He later apologized, and we both were quiet as we thought of how much we matter to each other. All things considered, we'd had a good time up to that point. The outing was terrific and we'd left fully sated, so at least this didn't happen until afterward.
Interesting that a night of dressing up like a cyborg would show just how human we are.